As society’s obsession with the new year would dictate I should take this time, at the beginning of 2011, and take stock in what I accomplished in 2010. Ok. So, what did happen in 2010? I’ll make a list:
- Sang in an opera program at HBU.
- Was granted auditions at Eastman School Of Music, Rochester, NY and Indiana University.
- Traveled to Rochester, NY for a graduate school audition.
- Experienced my first blizzard.
- Worked for the United States Postal Service.
- Saw someone, for whom I cared deeply, for the last time.
- Traveled to Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, for a graduate school audition with my mom.
- Detoured to Atlanta, GA to visit some dear friends from Kenya.
- Began my last semester at HBU.
- Traveled to Boston for a graduate school audition.
- Said goodbye to an amazing man.
- Survived another Valentine’s Day alone.
- Ditched a lot of school.
- Turned 28.
- Stopped exercising.
- Quit working at the USPS.
- Traveled to Indiana University for a graduate school audition, and to see my family in Indiana.
- Made a snowman!
- Got four rejection letters for all graduate programs to which I applied and auditioned.
- Began my five week marathon to learning recital rep.
- Applied and almost got into UTSA, but decided to not audition at the last minute.
- Ditched some more school (especially wellness).
- Ate a lot of junk.
- Traveled to Austin to try to regain my sanity.
- Saw the Black Eyed Peas in concert with two of my most favorite girls!
- Had an really amazing movie night at my best friends’ house!
- Continued the marathon to learning recital rep.
- Sang in another opera scenes program at HBU.
- Went on a painful, yet success, search for a recital dress with three amazing women.
- Reconciled with an old friend.
- Passed my recital hearing by the skin of my teeth.
- Sang my recital and suffered through making up my entire French set.
- Passed all my finals to complete all requirements for graduation!
- Saw Iron Man 2
- Went on one of the most amazing dates of my life.
- Graduated! Graduated! Graduated!
- Went on choir tour with an wonderful group of people.
- Ate two ‘dirty love burgers’ at the Love Shack.
- Almost rode a mechanical bull.
- Ate more candy in one week than I ever thought humanly possible.
- Went to the Clinton Presidential Library.
- Took a solo road trip to South Carolina.
- Traveled to Austin, TX.
- Began a torturous summer of no work.
- Previous reconciliation went sour, again.
- Learned how to make tamales from an authentic Mexican grandma.
- Looked for a job post graduation.
- Realized I wasn’t actually skilled to do much of anything.
- Almost got a good administrative position at a bible college.
- Was asked to move to Kenya.
- Began the painful process of “divorcing” my current roommate.
- Discovered that someone I thought I could trust I could not.
- Began the process of uprooting my life.
- Decided to move to Kenya.
- Said goodbye to my roommate of four and a half years.
- Had a birthday party for my dog.
- Began to pack up my house to move my life into one room at my parent’s house.
- Sorted through my “stuff” to figure out what all to sell or give away.
- Went to Austin.
- Lost the almost job due to moving to Kenya.
- Saw Toy Story 3.
- Saw Knight and Day.
- Saw Eclipse (twice).
- Saw Salt.
- Was reunited with a dear individual.
- Ate a lot of gummi bears.
- Geared up for a miserable yard sale process.
- Saw Inception.
- Said goodbye for the first of many times.
- Laid new flooring in my bedroom at my parent’s house.
- Had an epic yard sale.
- Officially moved home.
- Began fundraising for my new life as a missionary.
- Began to see God’s provision.
- Planned for another yard sale in October.
- Went on an awesome family reunion!
- Got to go tubing on the lake!
- Had another epic yard sale, but not quite as epic as before.
- Was blessed beyond belief by finally getting to meet one of my most favorite individuals ever, T!
- Went to Austin one last time.
- Bought some cool new photography equipment.
- Paid off some debt.
- Bought some awesome music gear to leave in Kenya.
- Came into possession of my very own guitar! (thank you mom and dad)
- Had Thanksgiving/Christmas.
- Had the most awesome jam session with T, K, & Pop.
- Said goodbye to my family and life in Houston.
- Got on a plane after everything that could go wrong went wrong and moved to Kenya.
- Struggled with acclimating to my new life.
- Almost quite before I actually started.
- Experienced the best game drive ever!
- Shared Kenya with my dad.
- Loved on some orphans.
- Got sick.
- Had to say goodbye to my dad. (probably one the hardest things I have ever done in my life)
- Began my music ministry in Sekenani.
- Began to learn Swahili.
- Got food poisoning from a nasty pizza place. (I still eat pizza, though just not from the aforementioned place)
- Experienced my first Thanksgiving away from home.
- Began children’s choir rehearsals for the Christmas program.
- Spent a week in Kijabe helping a dear friend recover from surgery.
- Discovered the amazingness that is ‘Chuck’!
- Discovered my identity was stolen.
- Had my heart broken in dealing with the differences in culture in Kenya.
- Went to a Harumbi (sp).
- Geared up for my first Christmas and New Year’s away from home.
- Recorded some music for Christmas gifts.
- Met a lovely Kenyan family who visited for Christmas.
- Discovered I needed to come home early.
- Going through a painful purification process, and learning what it really means to trust God.
- Had the best Christmas ever. (sorry mom and dad)
- Went on an epic four wheeler ride through the bush of Africa and was blessed to have a miniature game drive!
- Got seriously sunburned!
- Watched Goonies for NYE.
In the last year I have been heartbroken, overjoyed, challenged, troubled, confused, content, amazing, and a myriad of other emotions that I can’t think of at the moment. I’ve loved, and I’ve lost. I’ve given, and I’ve received. I’ve been hurt by people, and I’ve hurt people. I’ve fought with people, and I’ve reconciled relationships.
I could say that 2010 was awful to me, and I demand for 2011 to make it up to me, but really….I look back on the last year and I can’t say 2010 was bad to me. Sure, there were times when I would have preferred things to turn out differently, but then I wouldn’t be sitting here in Kenya typing this list. To be here in Kenya has been the most amazing blessing of my life. I’m living the dream. The ULTIMATE dream. I’m living in the will of God! I’m sharing His love with the people here. That’s more than any graduate program or relationship or job that I didn’t get into or lost.
God brought me here, to Kenya, and in doing so has revealed who He is a HUGE way to me. I know Him now like I’ve never known Him. I love Him! I think back and I see that I didn’t really love Him before. I’m learning what it truly means to love God. I’m learning what it truly means to be a Christ follower. I’m learning…
I asked God to help me to trust Him more, and He has been faithful to move in my life so that I would have to trust Him more. Trust Him solely. I love it! I know now what I want to do with my life, and it is to serve Him only. Kenya is where I want to be, despite not having my family here, this is where I long to be. This is where I believe I’m supposed to be. God will make a way. I’m praying and trusting in Him.
I’ve had an awesome year, and all the things I could regret…I won’t. I won’t regret them because after all the good and bad I’ve learned who I was, who I didn’t want to be, who I want to be in Christ, and who I can be in Christ.
I’m praising God for it all. I’m praising God for His abundant mercy. I’m praising God for His incredible goodness! I’m praising God!! Won’t you praise, too!?!